by Angela Maiers
I was so thrilled when Will or as I know him @peoplegogy on Twitter, agreed to be a contributing voice to an important conversation on my blog about passion. But I am even more excited to see how far the conversation is taking us. Passion is not only a strength we should be working from; it is a critical attribute of success both in business and in life.
The word passion is thrown around in business and education so much that we need to "rescue " the concept as leaders by fleshing out what and thinking carefully about the strengths and habits of passion-driven learners and passion-driven teams considering questions like:
- What is passion…really?
- How do you define passion?
- How could/does passion change the game?
- How does passion present itself in your work? life? organization?
- What does it mean for you? our students? your community? clients? the world?
- Can passion be “taught”?
- How is passion different than engagement?
- What conditions are necessary for passion to exist?
- Is passion a necessary or a “nice to have” quality?
- What are the repercussions of being a “passion-less” person or organization?
- Can we quantify passion? If so, how?
- What is misunderstood about passion?
- What can we do to change this? move the conversation forward?
I recently invited a diverse group of thought leaders from across the Blog/Twittersphere to examine this topic and weigh in with their perspectives and advice. Each with their own stories and insight examined the role passion played in their work, learning, and life.
I was not only awed and amazed at the candidness, honesty, and boldness of their answers; I was amazed at how contagious the conversation became. Hundreds of tweets and fifty plus blog posts later, confirms that passion matters to educators, innovators, marketers, bloggers, branding specialists, parents, radio personalities, project managers, PR pros, professional speakers, leaders, scientists, leaders, coaches, and students.
Seth Godin would say,“a tribe” like this, could change the world, and I couldn’t agree more! This small Twitter project is a microcosm of the potential these conversations could have in your world.
Passion, energy, and initiative are gifts that people choose to give or withhold day-by-day and moment-by-moment. Engaging these gifts requires managing and organizing our classrooms” and our schools in very different and distinctive ways.
What would happen if...
- We Lead with more passion?
- We worked to Amplify Passion with the tools and technologies to we have at our disposal?
- We Noticed Passion and it's many faces?
- Spread Passion?
- Inspiring people to give generously of these talents and gifts requires a renewed commitment to passion. We need to help keep the conversations going. Join me in rescuing this very important topic by using the hashtag #passiondriven, so all conversations can be linked.
We CAN change the world, but not alone and not without passion!
Happy Holidays, Friends and Leaders!
Angela Maiers is an award-winning educator, speaker, consultant and professional trainer known for her work in literacy, leadership and global communications. She is a consistently energized and recognized worldwide speaker greatly impacting leadership through not only the education field, but the international business community as well. Challenging educational philosophies and business ethics, Angela strives to achieve total synergy and unstoppable energy by reconstructing the thought process of many dated ideologies. You can Angela at Angela Maiers Educational Services (515.554.2004) and at @angelamaiers